Compassion & Choices of Oregon is a resource for Oregonians as they make end-of-life decisions and plan for a caring, gentle death according to their own values and beliefs.
We provide terminally ill, mentally competent adults with a network of professionals who inform, educate and counsel them on the broad range of end-of-life options. We complement the implementation of the Oregon Death with Dignity Act by ensuring qualified Oregonians with safe and responsible access to use the Act.
Compassion’s volunteer team and staff include clergy, mental health professionals, attorneys, physicians, hospice nurses, palliative care specialists and others experienced in helping terminally ill patients, their families and caregivers. Through our experience we have developed an extensive database of community resources to assist Oregonians with the support they need to face the end of life with dignity.
What is permitted under the Oregon Death with Dignity Act?
The law permits:
- an eligible person, suffering from a terminal disease, to voluntarily request from his or her physician a prescription for medication to end his or her life in a humane and dignified manner,
- the eligible person to change his or her request at any time or in any manner,
- doctors and other healthcare providers to refuse to participate,
- the eligible person’s family and physician to be present at the time the patient takes the medication.
Who is eligible for the Oregon Death with Dignity Act?
The law requires that the patient:
- Be an adult 18 years of age or older,
- Be capable of making and communicating healthcare decisions to healthcare providers,
- Be an Oregon resident,
- Have a terminal illness with fewer than six months to live, which may not be the same requirement to become eligible for hospice,
- Make his or her request for assistance voluntarily.
If your end-of-life plans aren’t in place yet, download and complete the following Advance Directive:
Find Out More
Contact Compassion & Choices of Oregon Executive Director Jason Renaud at 503.525.1956 to learn more about what Compassion & Choices of Oregon is doing and how you can help.
Donate – Oregon
|Your transaction is secured by Verisign|