Faced with a terminal diagnosis, District residents deserve the full range of options for care at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. Medical aid in dying allows terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully.
The Washington, D.C., Death With Dignity Act went into effect on June 6, 2017, authorizing the compassionate option of medical aid in dying for terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully. Through our access campaign, Compassion & Choices continues to educate health care providers and residents of Washington, D.C., about medical aid in dying and the full breadth of end-of-life options.
Compassion & Choices continues to work to expand access to medical aid in dying under the DC Death with Dignity Act. Our Medical Provider Advocates Team, a group of active and retired medical professionals, donate their time to help educate others about medical aid in dying. They give presentations to professional organizations, physician groups and medical societies; and meet individually with doctors, nurses, social workers, hospital administrators and more. Through the work of this team and our staff, we continue to add supportive providers and facilities to our Find Care Tool.
- Attend an Event: Participate in virtual activities related to medical aid in dying and advance care planning.
- Volunteer With Us: Join other passionate and dedicated individuals to work to re-enact legislation that improves care and expands end-of-life choice.
- Email us to request a presentation in your own community.
Education and Outreach
The bilingual Access Campaign:
- Helps patients, caregivers and health professionals understand how the law works.
- Assists healthcare facilities develop more supportive policies.
- Provides technical assistance and presentations to healthcare providers on end-of-life options.
Tools and Resources
For Patients Learn whether you are eligible for the D.C. Death with Dignity Act.
Recursos en Español Recursos en Español.
COVID-19 Toolkit Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.
Dementia Values & Priorities Tool Use our tool to document your preferences to make sure you get the care you want.