Status of Medical aid in dying
The state Legislature is considering a bill to authorize medical aid in dying.
In 2023, the Minnesota End-of-Life Option Act (HF 1930) was introduced in the Minnesota House’s Health Policy and Finance Committee, which would authorize medical aid for dying.
On January 25, 2024, In a party-line vote, the House Health Finance and Policy Committee moved to advance HF1930, the End-of-Life Option Act. This is the first time this legislation has been voted on following nearly a decade of work by advocates. It’s a huge step forward for dying Minnesotans and their loved ones.
- Sign our petition if you support authorizing medical aid in dying in Minnesota. You will also be invited to local events,
such as film screenings and our Annual Minnesota Benefit.
Want to do more? Sign up as a volunteer! Join others to help educate others about issues to improve end-of-life care and expand end-of-life choice. We’ll work together to find a role that fits you!
- Check out our Virtual Advocacy Guide: Find out how to virtually advocate for end-of-life care in the most effective way.
- Share your story: Stories have the power to change minds. Submit your experience with end-of-life issues, and we’ll help you get your story out.
- Join an existing Action Team in Minnesota or start a new one.
- Join Compassion & Choices Minnesota.
- Attend an event: Meet others while learning more about end of life options.
- Schedule an event: We’ll help you host an event to educate others and encourage them to take action.
- Find us on Facebook.
- Learn about medical aid in dying: This summary provides you with everything you need to know about medical aid in dying.
- Learn about end-of-life options: Find the care option that provides you the most comfort, physically and emotionally.
By a three-to-one margin, Minnesotans feel that allowing doctors to legally prescribe lethal drugs to help terminally ill patients end their own lives should be an end-of-life option in the state. See more polling data.
Tools and Resources
For Patients Access the Minnesota Advance Directive
End-of-Life Planning Use our step-by-step guide to chart your journey.
Los recursos en Español Los recursos en Español.
COVID-19 Toolkit Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.