What a week:
Mar 5, 2021
This week, we saw some incredible victories:
- In Montana, on Monday, we struck down an egregious attempt to criminalize doctors for relieving their patients' unbearable pain.
- In New Mexico, in partnership with the New Mexico End of Life Options Coalition, we've cleared legislation that would authorize medical aid in dying through the House. On Monday, it cleared its first committee in the Senate, and will go through one more before heading to the Senate floor for a vote.
- And moments ago, in Connecticut, medical aid-in-dying legislation cleared the Public Health Committee for the very first time since it was first introduced more than 25 years ago!
But our work doesn't end here. These were some of our first major victories of this legislative session. They can’t be our last.
Here are just a few more of the key legislative initiatives we're pushing across the country:
- In California, we worked with our bill sponsors to introduce historic legislation to improve and re-authorize the End of Life Options Act — a critical step toward ensuring access to this compassionate end of life option remains a fixture for California residents.
- Currently, legislation to authorize medical aid in dying has been introduced in a dozen states including New York, Minnesota, and Massachusetts, where our teams are using a range of strategies from advertising to grassroots organizing to ensure these bills advance.
- And finally, we anticipate five additional states will drop legislation to authorize medical aid in dying in the coming months, including several states with strong momentum like Nevada and Delaware.
We will put everything we have into ensuring as many people as possible are able to chart how their story ends.