The California End of Life Option Act went into effect on June 9th, 2016, authorizing the compassionate option of medical aid in dying for terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully. The law includes a sunset provision and will expire on January 1, 2026 unless we pass new legislation.
This law can be very difficult to access, but it is possible. Learn more about the law and ask your doctor today to support this option and sign up to volunteer with us as we work to help every Californian chart their own end of life journey.
- Attend an Event in California: Participate in virtual activities related to medical aid in dying and advance care planning.
- Volunteer With Us: Join other passionate and dedicated individuals to work to re-enact legislation that improves care and expands end-of-life choice.
- Schedule a Presentation: We’ll explain the full range of end-of-life options and explain step-by-step how the law works – in English and in Spanish.
Education and Outreach
The bilingual California Access Campaign:
- Helps patients, caregivers and health professionals understand how the law works. Staff and volunteers presented at over 100 public outreach events this year alone.
- Assists healthcare facilities develop more supportive policies. To date more than 80% of large health facilities have adopted policies supportive of medical aid in dying.
- Provides technical assistance and presentations to healthcare providers on end-of-life options.
Our five-year goal to pass a law in California was achieved in just one year.
Tools and Resources
Use our step-by-step guide to chart your journey.
Recursos en Español
Recursos en Español.
Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers
Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.
Dementia Values & Priorities Tool
Use our tool to document your preferences to make sure you get the care you want.