See Their Stories
Faced with a terminal diagnosis, New Yorkers deserve the full range of options for care at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. Medical aid in dying allows terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully.
On Wednesday, April 27, supporters gathered in Albany for a rally and candle lighting tribute urging lawmakers to pass the New York Medical Aid in Dying Act (A.4321A/ S.6471). The event was live streamed via Facebook Live and Zoom, video from which you can view below.
A Marist poll released October 12, 2021, shows that New York registered voters support “legislation which would allow doctors to prescribe a drug dose to an adult who has been told they have less than six months to live so the patient can take their own life if they want to” by a 23-point margin (59% support vs. 36% oppose).
On June 10, 2021, the New York Legislature adjourned without advancing the Medical Aid in Dying Act. The bill carried over into the 2022 legislative session. On June 4, 2021, Buffalo Hospice co-founder and medical aid-in-dying advocate Dr. Robert Milch died of terminal cancer; days later his final op-ed and video urging lawmakers to authorize medical aid in dying was published in Empire Report.
See Their Stories
- Sign up to receive the latest updates on the New York campaign.
- Attend an Event in New York: Meet others while learning more about end of life options.
- Contact Your New York Lawmakers: Urge your lawmakers to support medical aid in dying legislation.
- Sign our Petition to Support Medical Aid in Dying in New York: Demand that medical aid in dying be authorized in New York!
- Join a New York Action Team: Join others to help enact legislation that improves care and expands end-of-life choice. See our Toolkit for Volunteers.
- Get Inspired: Read why New Yorkers deserve the full range options for care at the end of life.
- Learn about medical aid in dying: Our display shows you everything you need to know about medical aid in dying in New York.
Compassion & Choices New York is building support for the bill. From Buffalo to Long Island, the North Country to Brooklyn and everywhere in between, our staff and volunteers are working to host events and film screenings, participate in public dialogue, and offer workshops on advance planning and end-of-life options to communities across the state.
Two thirds of New Yorkers feel that allowing doctors to legally prescribe lethal drugs to help terminally ill patients end their own lives should be an end-of-life option in the state. See more polling data.
Tools and Resources
For Patients Access the New York Advance Directive.
End-of-Life Planning Use our step-by-step guide to chart your journey.
Los recursos en Español Los recursos en Español.
COVID-19 Toolkit Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.