Watch the Volunteer Orientation Video below to get started as a Compassion & Choices volunteer. Then scroll through our toolkits below to learn more about all the activities you could pursue.
Ready to take the next step? Click “Sign Up to Volunteer” above to fill out our volunteer application and get started today. Please contact us at [email protected] or 800.247.7421 with questions.
Ways You Can Help
Volunteers make a difference in the following areas:
- Action teams run grassroots efforts in communities to increase end-of-life options.
- Outreach volunteers educate people in their community about end-of-life care and options including medical aid in dying, our federal policy agenda and other national programs.
- End-of-Life Consultation Program volunteers in Oregon, California, and Vermont provide support to people exploring end-of-life options.
Please email [email protected] when you use one of these toolkits in your community. We’d like to know how it went!
- Barbara Mancini DVD Discussion – Don’t let what happened to Barbara, a caring daughter, happen to you.
- Hosting a House Party – One of the best ways to recruit new advocates for end-of-life choice.
- How to Die in Oregon Home Screening – Show the award-winning documentary in your community
- Lawmakers Guide: Drafting Aid-in-Dying Legislation — A concise toolkit for legislators considering sponsoring legislation, with public opinion data, legislative language and an FAQ on how the law works in practice.
- Letter Writing Toolkit – Use the power of the pen to influence public policy by writing letters to the editor and to your elected officials.
- LGBT Outreach Toolkit – Comprehensive materials for outreach in the LGBT community.
- Local Resolutions Toolkit– A guide for introducing city and county resolutions.
- Lobbying Toolkit – Be a part of democracy in action.
- Petitions, Tabling, and Canvassing Toolkit – Walk the walk, talk the talk.
- Public Speaking Toolkit –Educate your community about Compassion & Choices and end-of-life options.
- Student Activity Guide– Make your next school paper, presentation or discussion about a cutting-edge issue.
Resources for Volunteers
- Aid-in-Dying History and Background – You are part of efforts dating back more than 100 years.
- “Oregon’s experience with aid in dying — findings from the death with dignity laboratory” by Barbara Coombs Lee, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, “Rethinking Mortality: Exploring the Boundaries between Life and Death,” July 2014
- Field Action Team Volunteer Guidebook
- Confidentiality Agreement note that Compassion & Choices volunteers are asked to sign a confidentiality agreement on an annual basis by Feb. 1 of each year
- Volunteer Media Policy note that Compassion & Choices volunteers are asked to sign the media policy on an annual basis by Feb. 1 of each year
Volunteer Brownbag Archives
Download audio files of our Brownbag speakers series:
- President Barbara Coombs Lee
- National Boardmember Debbi Gibbs
- New York Campaign Director Corinne Carey
- Multi-State Implementation Manager Matt Whitaker
- California Campaign Director Toni Broaddus
- National Medical Director Dr. David Grube
- National Constituency Manager Brandi Alexander
- National Director of Political Affairs and Advocacy Jessica Grennan
- National Storytelling Project Manager Christal Smith