See Their Stories
Faced with a terminal diagnosis, New Yorkers deserve the full range of options for care at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. Medical aid in dying allows terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully.
On January 12, 2023, the New York Medical Aid in Dying Act (A 995) was reintroduced by Assemblyperson Amy Paulin with 50 sponsors. A short time later, a Senate bill (
S 2445) was introduced by Senator Brad Hoylman-Sigal with 12 additional co-sponsors.
The New York Alliance for Medical Aid in Dying is a coalition combining the resources of Compassion & Choices, Death with Dignity National Center, The Completed Life Initiative, End of Life Choices New York and Death with Dignity–Albany, working together to authorize medical aid in dying in New York State.
Check out what else is happening in the New York movement to expand and protect end-of-life care options.
See Their Stories
- Sign up to receive the latest updates on the New York campaign.
- Attend an Event in New York: Meet others while learning more about end of life options.
- Contact Your New York Lawmakers: Urge your lawmakers to support medical aid in dying legislation.
- Sign our Petition to Support Medical Aid in Dying in New York: Demand that medical aid in dying be authorized in New York!
- Join a New York Action Team: Join others to help enact legislation that improves care and expands end-of-life choice. See our Toolkit for Volunteers.
- Get Inspired: Read why New Yorkers deserve the full range options for care at the end of life.
- Learn about medical aid in dying: Our display shows you everything you need to know about medical aid in dying in New York.
Compassion & Choices New York is building support for the bill. From Buffalo to Long Island, the North Country to Brooklyn and everywhere in between, our staff and volunteers are working to host events and film screenings, participate in public dialogue, and offer workshops on advance planning and end-of-life options to communities across the state.
Two thirds of New Yorkers feel that allowing doctors to legally prescribe lethal drugs to help terminally ill patients end their own lives should be an end-of-life option in the state. See more polling data.
Tools and Resources
For Patients Access the New York Advance Directive.
End-of-Life Planning Use our step-by-step guide to chart your journey.
Los recursos en Español Los recursos en Español.
COVID-19 Toolkit Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.